Wednesday 24 November 2010

Remake/Remodel - KERRANG! mag

For this magazine, I have taken KERRANG!'s themes and encorporated them into a magazine that I have made using my own headlines and photography for the main image.

I have used the KERRANG! masthead conventionally at the top of the magazine, because this is part of the house style to K!

For the main image, I wanted the model to have a Courtney Love meets Kate Moss look of, 'I'm too cool to care'. Jessie has achieved this buy looking at the camera as if to say 'Yeah, and what?', and leaning forward. In looking at the camera, direct address is created which entices a reader to buy the magazine. Her scruffy hair, black eyeliner and black clothing at to this Rock sheek look, that really works on the cover of K!. She is also the main feature of the magazine and therefore matches the ethos of this issue. I have used high-key lighting to emphasize how glamorous she is.

For the main coverline, I have decided to have it cutting through the main image, because the model is a new rock singer, and it means I could put a name to the face straight away. I used her name as a main part to the title, and then did a puff underneath to say what the article is about.

I haven't conventionally done other coverlines, because when i looked at the last K! mag i bought, they had the cover lines at the very bottom of the page. I have used this idea, and on the red strip at the bottom I have put in some other articles about more bands that would feature in this magazine.

On the right hand side, I have chosen to use a pug. The pug offers bands that played at the 'Warped Tour'. I literally took the 1st 4 bands that popped into my head that match the genre of K! mag. I inserted the pictures into publisher, resized them, added a border, then grouped them together. I also added in titles for each photo. I put 'FREE' in the largest font because that is what the audience will see, and will be attracted by to buy the magazine.

I have placed the barcode above the bottom coverlines, as K! aren't too fussy about where they put the barcode. The date and price are just above it.

I used publisher to create this, because I wanted to see if it was better than word. I think the final product definatley looks more proffesional on publisher, and I will use it more in future for tasks like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment