Wednesday 8 December 2010

Publication Plan

Before I start to draft my final magazine, I have put together this publication plan, which will give me some guidelines and somewhere to start for my final piece.

Masthead: I have come up with 4 different masthead styles for 'NOISE', using the same hazard-sign image for the 'O'.

 
 

 Any of these would look really good on my magazine, but I think the best would be the two in the right-hand column. I will experiment with these, and see which looks best on my magazine cover.

Positioning of the statement/selling line: I really like selling lines that cut through the main image. I think these look rebellious and that fits the stereotype of a rock magazine. In NOISE mag, the selling line will cut across the main image.

Frequency of Publication: Looking at other rock magazines, there is no 'trend' as to when they are published. E.g. K! is published every wednesday but Rock Sound is published monthly. NOISE mag will be published monthly, because I think monthly magazines have more flexibility in what they publish, because there is so much to put in. Whereas this would be harder to achieve in a weekly magazine.

Price: Most monthly magazines are priced inbetween £3.50-£4.50. NOISE mag will cost £4.00, purely because that is how they average out.

Distribution: http://www.bauermedia.co.uk/ this is the link to the website that distributes over 80 'influential media brands' ranging from K! magazine to FHM. They also own the 'Big City Network' which is a group of 20 local radio stations.

Rationale: My magazine will offer Rock music fans, news, interviews, exclusives, and competitions. It will dig into the lives of their favourite rock artists to give them an insight of what they do on tour or just at home in their 'free-time'. The competitions will give them the chance to meet their favourite bands, travel maybe, or win free tickets to gigs, free merchandise etc. It will also be a place where they can order band merchandise safely, and without the risk of being conned. It will have tour dates, gig reviews and fan mail pages so that it is a fully interactive magazine, where the consumers can have their say in what goes in.

Style: My target audience will be rock music fans, therefore my magazine will be quite rebellious and suit the rock genre.

Regular Content: The regular content in NOISE magazine will be;
The 'mail' page - where the consumers can send in their pictures/thoughts/messages etc
Tour info - There will always be a page dedicated to listing the upcoming tours of the rock bands the consumers will love
Artist Features - there will always be an artist feature/interview because those are the articles that consumers prefer.
Posters- in every issue, there will be at least A4 posters of bands that my target audience will love.

Feature content: The feature content in NOISE magazine will be;
Unmissable competitions - the chance to meet a band you love, VIP tickets to gigs etc...
Giant posters
Exclusive interviews that reveal things fans would love to hear but would never have known.

No comments:

Post a Comment