Friday 14 January 2011

Software

To contruct my draft magazine, I have used publisher and image editing software. I chose publisher because it is easy to layer my work and also to get a variety of shapes and text boxes etc to easily contruct my magazine. 

Front Cover:
Before I started to contruct this, I made sure I had a rough sketched plan of how I vaguely wanted it to look. Then I edited the main image and altered the lighting and contrast to get it looking how i wanted it to using the image manipulation programme. After I hadf done this I pasted it into publisher and then used it as a starting post to create my front cover, so everything would either fit on it or around it. The good thing about publisher is, you don't have to just work on the document, there is space around it; which is where i contructed the 3 posters. I imported the pictures (having already edited and cropped them) and then gave them a thick border. I think fiddled around with the composition and finally came up with the idea of having the largest in the middle on a slight slant, in the forground, with the other two behind it. I then grouped these images together and then put them on top of the main image. Publisher was also useful in creating the coverlines. The main coverline was created by just using a text box and was really simple and quick to do. the use of 'print preview' is also really useful, because I could keep checking it to see how authentic my magazine was looking without the construction lines. I had already created the masthead in word, so I just had to import it from file into publisher.

Contents:
I made a sketched draft of a contents on A4 paper before I started to make an electronic draft. I then used publisher to make my draft contents. I used an image manipulater to edit the main image and the picture of the 'editor' before importing them into publisher. I then used shapes and text boxes to make the blocks of colour and writing. I used the columns from K! magazine as inspiration for my contents. To do this, I used 3 text boxes and made the lines black on the left hand side of each. I did the headers by changing the font and then highlighting them in an orange colour. To get the masthead onto the contents, i just imported the image I had saved from the word document I created it in.

Double Page Spread:
After I had drew up a sketched draft on A4 paper, I used publisher to create m double page spread. Firstly I worked on the picture page, with the full sized image of Jake and Adam. I changed the lighting on it at first with an image manipulater, and them imported it into publisher. I then used text boxes to do the text around the picture, and just changed fonts, colours and font sizes. On the second page, I cropped and changed the pictures to how i wanted them, and then imported them into publisher. Before I put them into the article, I typed up the article using 3 text boxes to create the column effect again. I then put the images around the text. I made the red border by formatting the picture and making the line thicker and changing it to red.  To make the red Q&A boxes, I just used a text box and changed the colour to red.

No comments:

Post a Comment